Just as you keep a first-aid kit on hand for the humans in your family, it is essential to have a pet first-aid kit readily accessible at all times, including one at home and one for when you’re out and about.
*Always remember that any first aid administered to your pet should be followed by immediate veterinary care. First aid care is not a substitute for seeing a veterinarian, but it may save your pet’s life until it receives professional treatment.
Ensure your kit includes the following essentials:
- Absorbent gauze pads
- Adhesive tape
- Alcohol wipes
- Artificial tear gel
- Cold packs
- Copies of medical and vaccination records
- Digital thermometer for fevers (rectal)
- Disposable gloves
- Extra food, water, and travel-size bowls
- Favorite toys and treats
- Flashlight (w/extra batteries)
- Hydrogen peroxide (3%) to induce vomiting (always check with veterinarian or animal poison control expert before giving to your pet)
- Kitty litter (w/plastic trash bags)
- Leash, collar (with ID tags)
- Medical history of each pet
- Non-stick bandages (VetWrap)
- Notebook and pen/pencil
- Oral dosing syringe
- OTC antibiotic ointment
- Pet shampoo
- Saline eye solution
- Scissors with blunt end
- Styptic powder
- Towels and blankets
- Travel bed
Contact Information, including:
Burleson Animal Emergency Hospital (24/7): (817) 900-2000, 12600 South Fwy., Burleson, TX 76028
- Phone number, clinic name, address of your primary care veterinarian as well as other local veterinary emergency clinics and shelters.
- Poison Control (24/7) (fees may apply):
Make sure to check your pack every few months to make sure nothing is outdated or needs to be replaced. And of course, keep your kit out of the reach of children.
Invest in Pet Insurance
Avoid the unexpected costs that arise in emergencies by investing in pet medical coverage. Many insurance policies offer up to 80-90% of coverage after a deductible. And, some plans will pay the clinic directly instead of reimbursing the pet owner that has paid at the time of service. To learn more about various insurance plans, click here.